I made this cake for Easter dinner, and almost forgot about it until I read Winnie's comment. I think I originally got the recipe off the m&ms website when Payton and I were first married. It's super easy and very yummy--here are the directions:
- Pick out your favorite boxed cake mix (I prefer butter or funfetti) and light-colored icing (I use fluffy white). Of course, if you're feeling adventurous, feel free to make your own cake batter and/or icing.
- Following the directions on the cake box, mix cake batter and bake in one greased 9-inch round cake pan.
- Once you've taken the cake out of the oven and it has completely cooled, cut it down the middle into two equal-sized sections.
- Flip sections around so that the curved parts of each section are touching.
- About 2/3 down the side of each section, cut a small triangle. Remember to try and keep each side of the cake congruent, so you'll want to make your triangles the same size and cut them out of the same place on each side. You can discard (or in my case, eat) the triangle pieces.
- Frost the cake. Warning: The outer edges of the cake (where you cut the cake) can be difficult to frost, so be sure to use plenty of icing.
- Using chocolate coated candies (I prefer the spring-colored m&ms), create your own design for your butterfly.
- For antennas you can either use Twizzler pull-n-peel candy or you can microwave a starburst for a few seconds (until it's easy to mold) and roll it into antennas.
- Enjoy :)