adventures in the kitchen
Friday, September 12, 2008 Chicken Pot Pie



Found this recipe in the Sept. 2008 issue of Parenting magazine (can you tell that I really like the recipes in Parenting mag?) :) This is the first homemade chicken pot pie I've ever made and I was super happy that it turned out well. The only thing I'll change the next time I cook this is I'll skip the thyme...a bit too strong for our liking. Other than that it was great.

Prep: 20 minutes
Bake: 35 minutes
Yield: 6 servings


Ingredients:

Cooking spray
1 Tbs. butter
1 Tbs. olive oil
3 carrots, thinly sliced
2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken breast, cubed
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 (12-oz) jar chicken gravy
1 (9-inch) refrigerated pie crust (I used two crusts--one underneath the filling and one on top.


Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9-inch pie dish with cooking spray (if you use a second pie crust to line your pie dish, you do not need to use cooking spray).
2. In a large skillet, melt half the butter with half the oil. Add carrots and celery, and cook over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with half the salt and pepper. Remove from pan and set aside.
3. Heat remaining butter and oil in pan; add chicken. Add salt, pepper, and thyme. Brown on all sides. continue to cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until done.
4. In prepared pie dish, combine chicken, peas, carrots, celery and gravy. Top mixture with crust, crimping the edges. Cut slashes in the middle, and bake for 35 minutes, or until filling is bubbling.

per serving: 395 calories, 19 g fat (7 g saturated), 683 mg sodium, 79 mg cholesterol
Posted by kristy :: 12:11 PM :: 1 comments

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------