
I haven't been to the grocery store in over a week, so you can imagine my delight when I came across this recipe that I was able to make with items that I still had in the fridge/freezer/pantry (original recipe from Parenting Magazine, Sept. 2008 issue). It was very tasty and I will definitely make it again in the future.
Cowboy Bake
cooking spray
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 Tbs olive oil
1 lb. ground beef (the original recipe called for 1 lb. of chicken, but we only had beef in our freezer)
1 (10-oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 cup frozen corn kernels
pinch chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt
pinch of cayenne pepper
1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese (original recipe calls for grated Monterey jack cheese)
FOR TOPPING:
1 (8.5-oz.) package corn-muffing mix
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray. In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil for 2 minutes.
2. Add meat and brown, drain and return meat to skillet. Add tomatoes, corn, chili powder, salt, and pepper to skillet and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour into the pie pan, and top with grated cheese.
3. In a mixing bowl, prepare muffin mix according to package directions. Spread evenly over chicken mixture and bake for 30 minutes, or until corn-muffin topping is lightly browned and filling is bubbling.
Yields 6 servings