adventures in the kitchen
Monday, April 6, 2009
Crock Pot Beef Brisket
Confession: I had never cooked brisket before and was very nervous that it wouldn't turn out well. And, since it was going to be the main course of Sunday lunch for 12 adults, I was even more nervous that I would have been if I were just cooking for Payton and me.
Good news: It turned out GREAT! The meat was tender and the flavor was delicious. Other good news, it was very simple...a huge plus when you're cooking for a lot of people! As far as good side dishes are concerned, I served the brisket with sliced tomatoes, corn casserole, green bean casserole, deviled eggs, roasted Greek potatoes, and croissants. If you're cooking for a smaller crowd, I'm sure one or two veggies would do just fine. In fact, the original recipe recommended serving the brisket with green beans and baked potatoes.
So, without further ado, here is the recipe (slightly modified from my e-mealz.com meal plan this week).
Crock Pot Beef Brisket (I doubled the recipe and we had enough for 12, so I'm assuming the following recipe will feed 6 adults)
1-2 tablespoons water*
2.5 lbs beef brisket
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic, minced* (I put mine in a garlic press)
1 Tablespoon fresh coffee grounds (I used good ol' Folgers)
1 package dry onion soup mix
BBQ sauce
(*Original recipe did not call for water, and called for 1 teaspoon of minced garlic rather than 1 clove, pressed.)
Pour water in crock pot. Place brisket in crock pot on top of water. Sprinkle both sides of brisket with Worcestershire sauce, rub with garlic and then sprinkle with coffee grounds. Add onion soup mix on top. Cover and cook on LOW for 5-7 hours. Baste occasionally. Remove from pan and slice against the grain. Heat BBQ sauce and serve over brisket**.
(**I did not pour the BBQ sauce on top of the brisket, but rather put it beside the pot and allowed everyone to add BBQ sauce if they wanted. It tasted just fine without the BBQ sauce.)
Posted by kristy ::
7:12 AM ::
2 comments

Post / Read Comments
---------------oOo---------------