Monday, April 21, 2008
Red velvet balls

Pros: Deliciously moist and yummy. Always a big hit!
Cons: Take a while to make.
Bake a red velvet cake, per the instructions on the back of the cake mix box. Once the cake is done baking, remove it from the oven and put it in a large bowl. Break the cake up until it is all one consistency (make sure there are no hard edges). If you want, you can put the cake in a food processor to make sure it is mixed into a very fine texture. Mix a tub of cream cheese icing into the cake. Stir well, making sure the icing gets evenly distributed. Form the cake/icing mixture into small (apx. 1-inch) balls. Place balls in the freezer until they harden (about 10-15 minutes)
Melt a package of chocolate-flavored almond bark, making sure you don't burn it (I melt mine on the stove over low heat, stirring constantly). Dip red velvet balls in the almond bark. Place dipped balls on wax paper until chocolate hardens. Yields approximately 40 red velvet balls.
I've heard that you can use any type of cake mix with this recipe, but I've yet to try anything but red velvet (why mess with a good thing, right?!!). I've also tried dipping the red velvet balls in white chocolate flavored almond bark. The white chocolate makes the treats a bit sweeter, but I still prefer the classic milk-chocolate.

Labels: cake mix, red velvet
Posted by kristy ::
10:22 PM ::
3 comments

Post / Read Comments
---------------oOo---------------